Want Great Direct Mail? Do This!
Want to get the most out of your direct mail budget? Want to get the maximum return on your investment? Here are five ideas that, while simple, can bring great results.
1. Be relevant, not complicated: Personalized communications do not have to be complicated to be effective. If you are a roofing company, for example, you do not need to know someone's household income, the presence of children in the home, and favorite hobbies to create an effective mailing after a wind storm. Finding homeowners with older homes (and older roofs) might be enough.
2. Go small or go home: We are familiar with the phrase "Go big or go home," but when it comes to mailing, sometimes less is more. By creating relevance, you can often bring in more revenue with smaller, more targeted mailings.
3. Clean it up: Removing duplicates and running your mailing list through software like National Change of Address (NCOA) and CASS ensure that your mailings reach their destinations. This not only increases marketing efficiency, but it saves on postage, too.
4. Send triggered mail: The effectiveness of direct mail increases dramatically when you send the mailing at the very time the customer is ready to buy. "Triggered" messaging does just that. For example, car dealerships alert customers when their vehicles are due for scheduled maintenance based on their last service call. Florists send out reminders in advance of key anniversaries.
5. Don't get stuck in a rut. If you have been sending the same type of piece for years, try something new. Change the mailing format. Change the color of the envelope. Mix it up, so the recipient sees something new and fresh.
Talk to us about fresh ideas for increasing the relevance of your campaigns and boosting your results.